Saturday, March 14, 2009

Favorite Products

Every once in a while I come across a product at the market and wonder how on Earth I've lived without it.
Three things come to mind instantly and I want to share them with you.















First of all is Johnny's Au Jus sauce. I use it in place of Worcestershire, in Bloody Mary's and truly, diluted as the package instructs it's the perfect sauce for French Dips. I simply put a pound of deli roast beef into a saucepan--add the diluted Johnny's Au Jus and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Pile than on a fresh roll and serve some au jus on the side for dipping...it's fantastic! If you try it, you'll be hooked.



Second, is something called Better Than Bouillon.
Trust me, it is better. It comes in several flavors and adds a richness to your recipe that is very different from the hard, bouillon cubes. It comes in a jar and 1 teaspoon = 1 cube. Super simple, & so delicious. her you're making soup, gravy, whatever--you'll want to try Better Than Bouillon.


Last but not least, is something from Gourmet Garden. It's fresh herbs, in a tube--like toothpaste. My market was out of fresh basil, and I didn't have enough on my plant at home for the quantity I needed, so I figured I'd give this stuff a try.
Wow! It's great. I imagine it being ideal for those who like to cook with fresh herbs, but find they spoil too quickly in the refrigerator. With Gourmet Garden, you simply squeeze the herb right out of the tube, 1 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon fresh chopped herbs. The flavor is fabulous and with a three month shelf life, nothing will go to waste. (store in your refrigerator) At just a couple of bucks, I'd say it's worth it's weight in gold.