Monday, March 1, 2010

Special Dover Sole



I was looking for something special to make for dinner last night as it was the first time we all had a chance to be together since vacation last month. We were having some friends join us and my mom suggested that I make stuffed Sole.
"How?" I asked her. My mom never uses recipes unless it's the first time she's making something, so she rattles off what she puts in the stuffing and said to wing it. "Just taste it and add whatever it needs."
All righty then.
So here's what I did and what I'll change next time....

2-1/2 to 3 lbs. fresh Dover Sole, or any other mild whitefish fillet
2 cups soft, fresh bread crumbs
2 cups crabmeat
1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped and sauteed in 1 Tablespoon butter until tender
2 eggs
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
3 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

1/3 cup butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth*
Slivered almonds



Prepare stuffing:
In a large bowl combine crumbs, crab, sauteed onion, eggs, salt & pepper. Mix well.





Butter two 9 x 13 baking dishes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Spoon a heaping Tablespoon on each fillet and gently roll up. Repeat with remaining fillets. Place in prepared pan.



Put a small piece of butter on top of each fillet and bake for 30 minutes.



Make sauce:
Melt 1/3 cup butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add broth and stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
Lower heat and continue stirring until thickened like a gravy.
<*Next time I will use 1/2 cup broth & 1/2 cup white wine and also add 2 or 3 Tablespoons of capers to the sauce>

Carefully place fillets on plate and drizzle with sauce. Sprinkle almonds over top.