Thursday, March 25, 2010

Homestyle Brownies

It's Open House tonight in my son's 1st grade classroom. Knowing a lot of parents & some of the kids won't get a chance for a snack before it starts, I decided to bake some brownies to share. Who doesn't love fudge brownies?
This recipe is exceptionally rich and moist and needs no frosting or nuts in my opinion. I always bake twice as many as I think I'll need so nobody goes away hungry.
Check them out~



1-1/2 cups butter, softened
4 cups sugar
8 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups good quality baking cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups good quality chocolate chips and/or chunks (I like to use a cup of each)

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla & beat to combine.
Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
Add chocolate chips and chunks
Spread into 2 greased 9x13 baking pans.
Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool before cutting.

Here's a little trick I like to use. I line my pan with heavy foil and grease it thoroughly. After cooling the brownies for at least 30 minutes, carefully lift out the foil using a large spatula and cut brownies into pieces.