Thursday, January 21, 2010

Meatball Stuffed Shells

It's officially winter, even here in Southern California. It's been down in the 50's and raining hard every day. I want to cook and bake and stay in my house 24/7. I spent some time today thinking up something new...



I decided to put a twist on stuffed shells. My husband, Tom, isn't crazy about the regular cheese-filled variety.


"Too cheesy" he says.

But he does love meatballs and I always have several dozen in the freezer so I thought I'd incorporate them into this recipe.
It retains the standard ricotta/egg/cheese filling but I've also added fresh sauteed spinach and fresh garden herbs.



There's a few steps involved but it's quite simple to make and well worth your trouble. Check it out~it was delicious!



16-20 jumbo shells, prepared according to directions on box-- drained and left standing in a small amount of cold water to prevent the shells from sticking together

2 cups finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
10 oz. fresh baby spinach

16-20 meatballs

2 cups Ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano & fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

32 oz. spaghetti sauce, homemade or store bought
6 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Saute onion & garlic over medium heat in oil/butter, stirring often, until semi-tender. Add fresh spinach and reduce heat to low. Stir until tender. set aside.



Pour 1 cup of red sauce into bottom of glass 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Set aside.

Mix Ricotta, egg, herbs, salt and parmesan until smooth. Add spinach/onion mixture and combine well.

Stuff a shell with a heaping tablespoon of cheese mixture and stuff in a meatball.



Place in prepared pan.



Cover with sauce.



You may not use the entire 32 oz., that will depend on how "saucy" you like your pasta. I had about a cup leftover.

Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving for a neater appearance.



Served with a tossed green salad and a loaf of fresh crusty bread this meal makes an ideal cozy-night dinner. Enjoy~!