Sunday, October 11, 2009

I interupt this Halloween Bonanza to offer Marie's Split Pea & Ham Soup



I have seriously been trying to "get my fall on". It's not easy when our days, as of late, have still been in the high 70's and I find myself gardening in a halter top.
However, WOO HOO--there is rain in our forecast.
Sing along ..."it never rains in California..."

(Note to self: finish the fence mural STAT!)

I love, love, love soup. I try to make a big batch of soup each week all throughout fall and winter. Often times I take it to the people that are without homes--living under our freeway exchanges. It's the least I can do, and it's always appreciated.

Here's one of my favorites. It was my Dad's favorite too, and even though my mom never liked it, she made it often. Super cheap, very simple and everyone enjoys it.
Check out your local Honeybaked Ham store for the ham hocks. They're 90 cents a pound and make the soup extra delicious...see for yourself!


1 pound bag of dried, split peas
8 cups water
1 cup of onion, chopped
1 cup of celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
3 to 4 pound ham hock
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 large potato, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

First, put peas into a bowl and cover with water. Discard any skins or peas that float to the top. Rinse in a fine colander.

Heat peas and water until boiling in a soup kettle. Boil for 3 minutes, then turn off heat and let stand, covered, for 45 minutes.
Return kettle to heat, and add onion, celery and pepper. Also add ham hock. Return to a full boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 80 minutes.

Remove ham hock and trim off meat into bite size pieces. Return ham to kettle and add carrots & potato. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
Perfect with a fresh, warm French bread loaf or crackers.