Saturday, October 10, 2009

Halloween Party Spooky Foods



Every October we have Halloween costume parties.
I love making the food myself. I have a few spooky recipes that anyone can make, party or no party--they're just downright fun!
Check it out~

THE JELLO BRAIN



So simple and very gross! I picked up the mold at our local party supply store. It's a "brain". I used cherry jello last year and it was a major hit. This year I'm going to "gross it up a notch" and add some drained cottage cheese before chilling it.

------------------------------------

CREEPY CRAWLY CUPCAKES



These little cardboard punch-outs really made the cupcakes extra cute. A package of 50 was less than $3 and I thought they were the perfect little desserts for the kids parties.

------------------------------------

CHEESE LOG MUMMY



Everyone loves a cheese log! I doubled my favorite recipe and reformed it into a mummy. I piped softened cream cheese through a flat tipped pastry bag in the design of "bandages". I finished him with ripe olive eyes and a pimento mouth, but didn't seem to get a final picture of him....you get the idea.
He's perfect to serve with a cheese knife in the heart and a pile of crackers and veggies.

---------------------------------

Another cute idea for the punch bowl is to fill a food service glove with Hawaiian punch --tie off securely--and freeze until solid. When you float it in the punch it not only chills it without watering down, but as a bonus, the fingers begin falling off as it melts...the kids LOVED it~!

---------------------------------

My typical set-up for the adult party is fairly simple. Here's my usual menu:
15 pounds of cocktail meatballs in a chafing dish

6 pounds of cocktail wienies in a chafing dish

A large tray of Artisan breads with dipping sauces and fresh roasted garlic

A large cheese mummy with crackers

Sam Adams Cheese Dip in the crockpot

Seven Layer Mexican Dip

Hummus and Pita Chips

Spinach Dip with veggies

Homemade SNICKERS bars

Bacon Wrapped Ghosts in Coffins
--recipe below:


8 large size fresh jalapeno peppers, each between 2 & 3 inches long

8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temp.

1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning

8 thick slices of bacon


Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds and center membranes and stuff.

IMPORTANT: Don't touch your eyes after doing this!! Wear gloves if possible.

In a small bowl stir cream cheese and Cajun seasonings together.

Stuff each half pepper with about 2 heaping spoonfuls. Pack it in & set them aside.

Cut bacon strips in half widthwise. In a large skillet, cook bacon until partially cooked. It should still be soft and able to wrap around pepper. Drain.

Wrap each stuffed pepper half with a piece of partially cooked bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Place on a baking sheet and bake--uncovered--at 350 degrees for about 25 ~ 30 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Remove toothpicks. Serve at once with a cold drink ~Makes 16 mummies in coffins

FACT: Baking the Jalapenos in the oven mellows their flavor & heat A LOT. These are not too spicy for most people.