Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Poorboys

Back in the 90's when I was a newlywed, my mom subscribed me to Taste Of Home magazine. I loved it and really started cooking enthusiastically and making up my own recipes. The recipe below is for a sandwich I made up and entered into a contest at the magazine. Imagine my surprise when it was a runner up!
It's in the Taste Of Home "Home-Style Soups, Salads & Sandwiches" 1996 edition and all these years later, I still make these sandwiches and LOVE them just as much.


1/3 cup creamy Italian or Parmesan salad dressing
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1 package (5 ounces) thinly sliced pepperoni
1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
2 sub sandwich buns (about 10 inches long)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large bowl, combine dressing and Parmesan cheese. Add the artichokes, tomatoes, pepperoni and olives; toss to coat.
Cut each bun in half horizontally; place with cut side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 5 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
Spread filling over buns; sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil 3-4 minutes more or until filling is hot and cheese is bubbly.
4 servings.