Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Simple French Dips

I'm a sucker for a good French Dip. It's one of my favorite sandwiches, and I always rate a deli on its French Dip's quality.
If the FD is good, I know most everything else will be as well. I have mastered the at-home version pretty well I think.
It's very simple and never fails to please. I love that it can cook all day in the crockpot and have the house smelling like heaven when it's time to eat.
See for yourself, it's the perfect meal for busy summer days when you don't want to heat up the house. Mmmmmm....


4 pounds beef roast (rump or your favorite)
1 Tablespoon oil
10.5 ounce can beef broth
10.5 ounce can condensed French onion soup
12 fluid ounce can or bottle beer
6 to 8 French rolls
2 to 4 Tablespoons butter

Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and brown in heated oil, in a large skillet on all sides for about 8 minutes total.
Place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.