One day in 2002, when I was a newlywed for the second time, I received a notification from my local Post Office to pick up a "parcel". I hadn't ordered anything, and wasn't expecting anything--other than a baby--but I waddled my hormonal self over to the P.O. to see what awaited me.
When the clerk handed me a heavy package, I remember having no idea what was inside. I went over to the shelf at the side of the store and opened the box.
Inside were 5 copies of a Taste Of Home cookbook. But wait...that's MY CHILI on the cover. What?
I started crying like I'd won an Academy Award. Seriously. Everyone in the place was staring at a pregnant, hysterical woman -- clutching cookbooks while sobbing.
Upon reading the enclosed congratulatory letter, I found that I'd won 2nd place in Taste Of Home's chili cookoff. I was beyond flattered. So much so I didn't realize what a spectacle I was...if you know me you can totally picture that scenario...right?
Anyway, about the chili. It's different from others you may have tasted before. It's got both pork and beef chunks in it, and bacon too. And unlike most chili, it has no chili powder, but is instead flavored with fresh chile peppers. Oh, and there's beer in it. Bonus. Take a look, I think it's pretty tasty.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/California-Pepper-Chili
Rob's California Pepper Chili
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh serrano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh poblano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth or dark beer like Guinness
- 7 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, cook the beef, pork and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, peppers and seasonings; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, broth/beer and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with reserved bacon and cheese if desired. Yield: (2-1/2 quarts) about 10 servings
