Monday, December 3, 2012

Crisp & Buttery Sizzling Shrimp



I recently went to a local Mexican restaurant with some friends and had something fantastic. 
It was a chef's special called Crispy Shrimp and it was served fajita-style on a sizzling skillet atop a bed of grilled sweet onions. I knew I had to make it at home. 

I tried a few methods this afternoon and came up with something I love. The shrimp is tender and juicy, the coating is crisp and slightly spicy and the seasoned butter it all cooks in is rich and flavorful. Whether you serve it with rice pilaf, in warm tortillas, or atop your favorite Asian Style salad--you're going to love it. See for yourself~


Serves 2.  

2 Tablespoons butter
1 sweet onion, sliced thinly
1 colored pepper, sliced thinly

1/4 cup butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced


1/2 pound shrimp (medium size), rinsed, shelled and deveined

1 egg, beaten lightly
1/3 cup flour
2 T. paprika
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Tortillas
Salsa
Guacamole

Melt butter and saute onion and bell pepper until tender. Set aside.

Melt butter in large skillet, and cook garlic & jalapeno over lowest heat for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5.

Pour egg into shallow dish. Mix flour with paprika, salt & pepper.

Dip peeled shrimp into egg and coat all over. Dredge in seasoned flour and press to coat well with mixture. Repeat with all the shrimp.
When all the shrimp is coated, turn up the butter mixture to medium high heat.


Add coated shrimp to hot butter and turn after 2 minutes. Cook for 1 more minute or until shrimp is opaque.


Do not overcook.


This shrimp would be equally wonderful served with warm tortillas, or alongside your favorite rice pilaf--in addition to a delightful topping on an Asian-style Salad.