Saturday, July 24, 2010

Stuffed Mushrooms



When I saw these enormous, fresh mushrooms at CostCo today, there was no doubt in my mind that I had to buy them and stuff them at once.
Although there are several variations of the stuffed 'shroom, and all are delicious in their own right, I had something specific in mind today.
Here's what I did:

12 oz. fresh mushrooms, any size is fine--wipe clean and remove & discard stems
1/3 cup onion, finely minced
1/3 cup celery, finely minced
6 T. butter
20 RITZ crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
1/3 cup breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled into tiny bits
3 string cheese packs (0.8 oz each) , cut into matchstick size pieces, optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
On a flat baking sheet, place mushrooms.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and saute onion & celery until tender. Add cooked sausage and crumbs to a mixing bowl. Add butter mixture and mix thoroughly to a "stuffing" like consistency.
Mound onto mushroom caps.
Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly & golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.