Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Halibut ala LaLa (say that fast 3 times!)



Um...if you haven't noticed...I LOVE seafood. I could eat it everyday forever. In fact, if I ever find myself stranded anywhere--I'm hoping for a distant Pacific island--just for the fresh fish.
Did I mention I need to be stranded with my husband or at least a gifted fisherman?
Yeah, that would be helpful because I stink at the whole "bait the hook" thing.

Anyway, tonight I made some delicious halibut with red potatoes and French cut buttered green beans.
I drizzled the uncooked halibut with a delicious dipping sauce I had leftover from LaLa's.
It's an olive oil base with fresh herbs and chopped garlic*. It is heavenly!

I put the halibut into the broiler --about 3 inches from the heat-- and cooked for about 9 minutes total, not turning it.
I placed the quartered red potatoes into a microwave save dish and added 1/2 cup chicken stock. Covered with plastic wrap --pierced twice-- and cooked on HIGH for 7 minutes.
Carefully draining the potatoes, I added them to a skillet with 2 Tablespoons melted butter or olive oil. Cooking over medium heat-- & stirring three times for a total of 15 minutes stovetop cooking time.

I sauteed 8 ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.



Remove mushrooms from heat. In the same skillet- I added 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
Heated until warm and added 10 ounces fresh string beans.



Stir and turn over medium heat until cooked to desired tenderness--about 8 minutes. Add reserved mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes over LOW heat.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

* The closest I've gotten to LaLa's own sauce is this:

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 minced shallots
1 teaspoon each: minced fresh basil, thyme & oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine, cover and let set for at least 2 hours before serving. Fantastic with a crusty loaf of bread for dipping.