
I have a confession to make. I use my family as Guinea Pigs. It's especially easy to do during the NBA playoffs, because they're hardcore distracted and will eat practically anything, provided I serve it to them in front of the big screen.
So last night I swooped in.
I've been wanting to try and create a vegetarian sausage gravy to serve over biscuits. Usually as soon as my family smells sausage, they are in the kitchen. If that were to happen while I was making the vegetarian sausage patties, surely I'd get busted. But while they were preoccupied, I figured I'd give it a whirl.
I started by adding 1 teaspoon oil to a large, deep skillet. When it was hot I added the package of Morning Star Vegetarian Sausage patties. I cooked them over medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side. Drained and diced. Set aside.

Then in the same skillet, over medium heat, I melted 2 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, I added 2 tablespoons of flour and stirred continuously, slowing adding 1 cup of milk. It will start becoming gravy-like. Once thickened, I added 1/2 a teaspoon vegetable flavor Better Than Bouillon and stirred for about a minute longer. If it's too thick, you can add more milk--slowly, stirring constantly.
Then add the chopped "sausage" and stir in to mix. Lower heat and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. I love a peppery sausage gravy, but I didn't want to overwhelm the kids, so I took it easy.
I'm bad, so I added a heaping tablespoon of sour cream at this point. That is completely optional--but it gave it the creaminess I adore.

I took the warm biscuits out of the oven, split them open, and ladled this gravy
over top. It looked convincing to me. No?

I took the plates out, and wouldn't you know-- it was half time. They weren't all that distracted.
Would they suspect that I was trying to vegetarianize them with my faux-sausage gravy?
Nope. Not even an inkling! This gravy fooled the carnivores. Shhhh. Try it, I won't tell if you don't.
Here's the beauty of my "vegetarian" sausage gravy. The entire package of Morning Star Vegetarian Patties weighed in at 18 grams of fat. (3 g per patty)
Traditional "real" sausage comes in at 90 grams of fat (15 g per patty).
If you love biscuits and gravy, give my recipe a try. You've got nothing to lose but 62 grams of fat! :)