Sunday, May 10, 2009

Baby Greens & Broccoli Slaw...



I made up this salad combo today, kind of spur of the moment when we decided to have a BBQ. Today.
LOL, we do that often so I am used to and totally comfortable "winging it". Really. I used to freak out and need 3 months notice for a BBQ. Well, not 3 months, but 2 anyway.
Now I need an hour and a half. So I can get everyone showered. But back to the salad.
It's really good, has all the essentials, and more, take a look--it's delish!

1 pound mixed baby greens, torn into bite size pieces
1/2 pound broccoli slaw--find this in your salad department--sold like cole slaw
1/2 pound broccoli florets, broken into bite size pieces
1/4 cup raisins, or Craisins
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, shelled of course
1/3 cup bacon crumbles--about 8 strips, cooked crisp
1/3 cup Feta cheese, crumbled--blue cheese would be good too
1/4 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup pine nuts -- shhhh don't tell Tom!

Buttermilk Italian Dressing*, to taste

Toss salad ingredients together, then toss with desired amount of dressing. The dressing is tart and sweet and creamy-- just right on this salad!

* Buttermilk Italian Dressing
.7 oz. dry Italian Dressing mix package
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
4 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup oil

In a container with a tight fitting lid, combine vinegar and cream. Shake to mix. Add powdered dressing mix and shake again until blended. Add oil and shake again until blended and creamy. Use same day.