Friday, March 20, 2009

White Lasagna

I made up this recipe while I was pregnant because I was getting such extreme heartburn from red sauces. I still love it today and find it's even better as a leftover. I serve it with a tossed green salad and garlic bread and my family loves it. Yours may too, check it out...



12 ounces package lasagna noodles
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey, and I've even used pork sausage a few times
1 cup celery, finely chopped
3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon oregano
3/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
1 cup half and half
3 ounce package cream cheese
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1-1/2 cups gouda cheese, shredded
12 ounces cottage cheese--low fat is fine
1 large egg, slightly beaten
12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a large pan, cook ground beef, celery, onion and garlic. Drain fat when cooked. Stir in basil, oregano, salt and Italian seasonings. Add half and half and cream cheese, cook until melted and smooth. Stir in wine; gradually add cheddar and gouda cheeses until melted.
In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. Set aside.
Layer a 13 x 9 inch pan with half of noodles, meat, cottage cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Let stand on countertop for 10 minutes before serving.