
I'm doing some recipes using almonds for a contest, and this is something my mom helped me make up. If you like toffee and almonds, these cookies are right up your alley. Watch carefully to avoid over baking, you want these cookies tender and light--not crispy or burnt. Also make sure your butter is just softened, and not at all melted--that will keep your cookies lofty and not falling flat. Although the flat ones taste just as good, they don't look quite as nice.
I'll be taking these to school for Open House for sure!
1 cup butter (do not substitute)
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
3-1/2 cups flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped almonds
1 package (6 oz) English toffee bits
Additional sugar to roll cookies in
In a mixing bowl, cream butter & sugars.
Add oil, eggs, & extract. Mix well.
Combine flours, baking soda, cream of tartar, & salt.
Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in almonds & toffee bits.
Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar. (the cookies, not you silly). Place on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten lightly with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until just lightly browned.
Cool for 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool.
*Last time I drizzled half the batch with melted chocolate, making "stripes" on them. That was delicious, but I didn't get any photos. Sorry.